By Car helps income-eligible clients to purchase a used vehicle while learning savings strategies and vehicle care.
Eligible clients use their earned income toward a vehicle purchase.
The LCCAA By Car Program now partners with OhioMeansJobs Lorain County to increase the maximum match and provide funds for insurance.
OMJ matches participants funds 3 to 1 (match ceiling is $6,000). Participants attend a one-time financial literacy course as well as review costs of owning a vehicle and the value of continued savings.
Income can be earned from:
- A combination of any of these
- Register to an OMJ program by calling 440-324-5244
- Schedule and complete orientation
- Complete the Work Keys and be engaged in the workshops that OMJ provide
- Be assigned an Employment Specialist
- Save $2,000 to put down on a car.
- Complete the Financial Literacy Class at LCCAA.
- OMJ will match $3 for every $1 to a max of $6,000. You will be able to purchase an $8,000 car.
- Participants completing their purchase also receive one year of car insurance paid, up to $2,500.
The income eligibility requirements are based on family size and total family income. Participants must be living at or below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Line ($55,500 for a family of four in 2022).
Other Program Requirements
- Be employed OR
- Be enrolled in a certified training or full-time college education program.
- Complete a financial literacy class.
- Agree to open a savings account.
- Commit to owning the vehicle for no less than six months.
- Agree to abide by the program requirements.