Winter Crisis Program
The Winter Crisis Program provides assistance once per season to eligible households. The program operates between Nov. 1 and March 31. You must secure an appointment with an LCCAA staff member to apply for this emergency program.
You do not need an appointment to apply for HEAP or PIPP
or to reverify your information to stay on PIPP.
If appointments are full and you are without heat, you can contact us by clicking here.
You can also call 440-245-1870. Or, if you have all your documents, drop them off at 936 Broadway Ave., Lorain
Households must be living at or below 175% of the Federal Poverty Line and be facing one of the following emergency situations:
- Their heat is disconnected.
- They have received a disconnect notice.
- They have less than a 10-day supply of bulk fuel.
- They need to pay to transfer service.
- They are a PIPP customer in default.
If you receive a disconnect notice during a crisis period, make an appointment right away. If you make an appointment at least 48 hours before your scheduled disconnection AND you enter your utility account number, the utility will put a hold on the disconnect while you are waiting for your appointment. If you miss or reschedule your appointment, the hold is removed and you may lose service.
Most appointments are conducted over the phone. In person hours are offered in some locations, click here for more information.
A secure drop box is available at LCCAA at 936 Broadway Ave., Lorain for required documents.
Required documentation includes:
- Income information for all household members 18 years of age or older for the last 30 days;
- Any member reporting “no income” must complete a no income form;
- Social Security numbers for all household members;
- Proof of citizenship for all household members;
- Most recent electric and gas bills;
Coronavirus stimulus checks do NOT count as income for this program. Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) no longer counts as income for this program. For a complete list of countable income, please click here.
Maximum benefits for Winter Crisis are
- $175 for regulated gas and electric utilities
- $750 for unregulated gas and electric utilities
- $1,200 for bulk fuel, propane, heating oil or kerosene
- $650 for coal or wood
The program can also fund up to $500 in heating unit repairs or replacements.
If you do not have a disconnect notice but need help paying your bill, you may be eligible for the Home Energy Assistance Program. Applications for that program are taken at energyhelp.ohio.gov. No appointment is needed.
If you have questions about an existing application, you can also call 440-245-1870 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to speak with a representative. The lobby reception window at 936 Broadway Ave. in Lorain is open for quesitons.
No documents are accepted at the window. A weather-tight, secure document drop box is stationed at the agency’s rear lobby entrance. The box is checked hourly. Documents can also be faxed to 1-440-457-0337.
The program runs through March 31, 2024.