Summer Crisis Appointments Open June 17posted 6/9/22 -- Relief from the summer heat will soon be available in Lorain County. LCCAA’s Summer Crisis Program begins July 1, but residents can begin making appointments for assistance on June 17.
The annual program provides eligible households with a one-time benefit to assist with electric bills, central air conditioning repairs and air conditioning unit and/or fan purchases. The primary qualification for the program is a gross annual income at or below 175 percent of the Federal Poverty Line ($48,562.50 for a family of four in 2022).
Residents at that poverty level qualify for help if they also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- At least one household member is age 60 or over.
- A household member has a documented medical condition worsened by extreme heat.
- Their electric service has been disconnected or they have received a disconnect notice.
- They are trying to establish new service.
- They are enrolling in PIPP Plus for the first time.
- They are an existing PIPP customer in default.
Benefits remain at levels expanded during the pandemic. Customers of regulated utilities can receive up to $500 in assistance. Customers of unregulated utilities can receive up to $800. Eligible clients can also receive up to $500 for central air conditioning repairs.
Residents who have not received an air conditioner from LCCAA in the last three years can request a unit. The cost of the unit will be deducted from the amount of assistance they receive. The remainder can be applied to their energy bill if needed.
Electric box fans will also be distributed. Residents who have received air conditioners in the past three years may be eligible for a fan. Distribution of air conditioners and fans will be subject to availability.
Appointments are required for this emergency program. All appointments must be made online and will be conducted over the phone. Make your appointment by clicking here beginning June 17.
In-person services are being offered for seniors only in partnership with the Lorain County Office on Aging (LCOA). An LCCAA Energy Services employee is stationed at the LCOA office in Elyria from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Those 60 and over who are not comfortable making an online appointment may walk in during those hours.
Secure drop boxes are available at both the LCOA office at 320 Gateway Blvd. North in Elyria and at LCCAA at 936 Broadway Ave., Lorain for required documents.
Required documentation includes:
- Income information for all household members 18 years of age or older for the last 30 days;
- Any member reporting “no income” must complete a no income form;
- Social Security numbers for all household members;
- Proof of citizenship for all household members;
- Most recent electric and gas bills;
- Proof of medical condition if applicable (documentation signed by a licensed physician or registered nurse practitioner). Use our form if needed.
For a complete list of countable income, please click here. The program will run through Sept. 30 this year.
Additional information may be required. Please visit www.lccaa.net or call 440-245-1870 during business hours if you have questions.