By Car Partnership Adds Benefitsposted 5/4/22 -- LCCAA’s By Car program now partners with OhioMeansJobs Lorain County to increase the maximum match and provide funds for insurance.
OMJ matches participants funds 3 to 1 (match ceiling is $6,000). Participants attend a one-time financial literacy course as well as review the costs of owning a vehicle and the value of continued savings.
Income can be earned from employment, self-employment or a combination.
To participate in the OMJ program, you must:
- Register by calling 440-324-5244.
- Schedule and complete orientation.
- Complete Work Keys and be engaged in the workshops the OMJ provide.
- Be assigned an Employment Specialist.
Once this is completed and the Employment Specialist approves you, OMJ will submit the voucher to LCCAA.
The next steps will be:
- Save $2,000 to put down on a car.
- Complete the Financial Literacy Class at LCCAA.
- OMJ will match $3 for every $1 to a max of $6,000. You will be able to purchase an $8,000 car.
- Participants completing their purchase also receive one year of car insurance paid, up to $2,500.
The income eligibility requirements are based on family size and total family income. Participants must be living at or below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Line ($55,500 for a family of four in 2022.
Other program requirements:
- Be employed, or
- Be enrolled in a certified training or full-time college education program.
- Complete a financial literacy class.
- Agree to open a savings account.
- Commit to owning the vehicle for no less than six months.
- Agree to abide by the program requirements.
For more information, contact Bobby Taylor, Planning and Community Services Director, at [email protected]