Eligibility, Benefits Expanded for Summer Crisisposted 6/7/20 -- Lorain County Community Action Agency’s Summer Crisis Program begins July 1 with expanded eligibility, additional services and a longer crisis period. LCCAA also has a new phone number for all utility programs.
Summer Crisis offers help staying cool for low-income residents who also meet one of the other eligibility requirements. The primary qualification for the program is a gross annual income at or below 175 percent of the Federal Poverty Line ($45,850 for a family of four in 2020).
Residents at that poverty level qualify for help if they also meet one of the following criteria, the majority of which are new this year:
- They are age 60 or older.
- They have a documented medical condition made worse by extreme heat.
- Their electric service has been disconnected or they have received a disconnect notice.
- They are trying to establish new service.
- They have been diagnosed with coronavirus in 2020.
- They are enrolling in PIPP Plus for the first time.
- They are an existing PIPP customer in default.
Benefits have also been expanded this year. Customers of regulated utilities can receive up to $500 in assistance (up from $300). Customers of unregulated utilities can receive up to $800 (up from $500).
Residents who have not received an air conditioner from LCCAA in the last three years can request a unit. The cost of the unit will be deducted from the amount of assistance they receive. The remainder can be applied to their energy bill if needed.
Electric box fans will also be distributed. Residents who have received air conditioners in the past three years may be eligible for a fan.
Also new this year, customers may request repairs to their central air conditioning units up to $500.
Appointments can be made beginning June 17 by calling the new 24-hour number: 440-538-6999 or by clicking here. For 2020, due to the COVID-19 crisis, all appointments will be conducted over the phone with no contact. A secure drop box is available at 936 Broadway Ave., Lorain for required documents. Documents can also be faxed to 440-245-3260.
Required documentation includes:
- Income information for all household members 18 years of age or older for the last 30 days;
- Any member reporting “no income” must complete a no income form;
- Social Security numbers for all household members;
- Proof of citizenship for all household members;
- Most recent electric and gas bills;
- Proof of medical condition if applicable (documentation signed by a licensed physician or registered nurse practitioner).
Coronavirus aid payments do NOT count as income for this program.
The program will run through Sept. 30 this year. It typically ends Aug. 31.
Additional information may be required. Please click here or call 440-245-2009 during business hours for a detailed list. Applications can be made online at energyhelp.ohio.gov.