Summer Crisis Help Continuesposted 8/9/19 -- Lorain County Community Action Agency is helping qualifying residents win the battle against record breaking heat.
The 2019 Summer Crisis Program provides help with electric bills and/or a free air conditioner or box fan.
The program's qualifications are two-tiered. Residents must be 60 years old or older OR have a documented medical condition. They must also live at or below 175 percent of the Federal Poverty Line (an annual income of $45,062.50 for a family of four).
Customers of regulated utilities can receive up to $300 in assistance. Customers of unregulated utilities can receive up to $500. Residents who have not received an air conditioner from LCCAA in the last three years can request a unit. The cost of the unit will be deducted from the amount of assistance they receive. The remainder can be applied to their energy bill if needed.
Electric box fans will also be distributed. Residents who have received air conditioners in the past three years are eligible for a fan.
Ohioans enrolled in the Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) are not eligible for a monetary benefit from the Summer Crisis Program. But, if the enrolled PIPP household is current with payments, they may be eligible for an air conditioner. Reverifications continue to be available year long.
Appointments can be made by calling 1-855-806-9620 or going online to capappointments.com. Four office locations will be open during the program.
1. The main office, 936 Broadway in Lorain, will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Walk-ins will be accepted all day. Please remember there is construction on Broadway and park behind our building.
2. The Wellington office, 115 Willard Memorial Square, will be open Wednesdays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Walk-ins will be accepted before 11 a.m.
3. The HEAP office inside the Lorain County Community College campus in North Ridgeville at 32121 Lorain Road is open Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Walk-ins will be seen in the morning and appointments in the afternoon
4. The office inside Ohio Means Jobs Lorain County, 42495 North Ridge Road, Elyria, is open for appointments only Mondays and Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
All sites are closed daily from 12 to 1 p.m. The client must be seated with an advocate one hour prior to closing for lunch or for the day. This ensures adequate time to process the application before closing.
Some documentation requirements have changed. For example, only 30 days of income verification is now required (previously 90 days). Please visit www.lccaa.net or call 440-245-2009 during business hours for a detailed list. Documentation includes:
- Income information for all household members 18 years of age or older.
- Any member reporting “no income” must complete a no income form;
- Social Security Numbers for all household members;
- Proof of citizenship for all household members;
- Most recent electric and gas bills;
- Proof of medical condition if applicable (documentation signed by a licensed physician or registered nurse practitioner);
Additional information may be required.