2012 Summer Crisis Program Started June 1posted 6/15/12 -- LCCAA’S SUMMER CRISIS COOLING PROGRAM STARTED JUNE 1 AND OFFERS AIR CONDITIONERS AND RECONNECTION SERVICES
Summer Crisis Program (SCP), part of the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), is designed to help qualified households pay for summer cooling. It also provides window air conditioners to those without central air for households who are medically needy. This program applies to electric utilities only and is available from June 1, 2012 through August 31, 2012. Due to the mild Ohio winter and the anticipation of more days of extreme heat this summer, this year’s funding is at a record high: $671,000 in assistance is available to qualifying Lorain County residents.
An application for assistance must be completed at our main office at 404 Broadway, Lorain, Ohio, or a satellite office in Elyria or Wellington.
Air conditioners will be available beginning July 1, 2012.
The Elyria satellite office is new this summer. In partnership with the First Congregational Church, the Elyria satellite office will be open from 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Thursday. The Elyria satellite is scheduled to open June 20 and will be by appointment only—no exceptions. The main office in Lorain and our Wellington satellite accept walk-ins during morning hours, Monday through Friday. The Wellington Office will open in early July. All offices will be closed between the hours of 12 P.M. to 1 P.M., daily.
To qualify for the Summer Crisis Program households must be at or below a gross annual income of 200% of the federal poverty level and meet one of the following criteria:
1. A member has an illness that would benefit from assistance, verified by physician documentation; or,
2. A member is sixty or older; or,
3. Household has a disconnection notice or whose household has had electricity terminated—this is new in 2012; or,
4. The maximum amount for bill payment assistance and/or air conditioner is $250. If household has received an air conditioner in the years of 2009, 2010, or 2011 it is not eligible for an air conditioner this year.
Income eligibility is based on size of household and total household income. A family of four, for example, making up to $46,100 qualifies for the program.
Locations and telephone numbers are as follows:
Main Office - 404 Broadway, Lorain, Ohio 44052
(440) 245-1870 – General Reception
Elyria Satellite - 330 Second Street, Elyria, Ohio 44035
(440) 714-1452 – Appointment Line (This line does not reply to general inquiries)
Wellington Satellite - 115 Willard Memorial Square, Wellington, Ohio 44090
(440) 647-6410 – Appointment Line (This line does not reply to general inquiries)
Those needing general information about the program may also call Ohio’s toll-free HEAP hotline at (800) 282-0880. The hearing impaired may dial (800) 686-1557 for assistance.